History of Athens Regional Medical Center
In 1919, Drs. Goss, Holiday, Hunnicutt and Reynolds had the vision of building a community hospital in Athens. Funds for the $280,000 project were raised through "subscriptions" or shares, which were purchased by the members of the community. However, the burden of operating the hospital by a limited number of citizens soon became impractical; therefore, on October 17, 1924, the citizens of Clarke County overwhelmingly approved a $200,000 bond referendum to purchase the facility.
Max Michael, a local attorney, chaired the newly formed 16-member Board of Trustees, which met for the first time on January 13, 1925. Years later, on September 30, 1960, the Hospital Authority of Clarke County, with a nine-member board, assumed ownership of the facility and worked together to ensure that the healthcare needs of the area were being met, and to strategically plan for the hospital's future growth.
Throughout the following years, the Authority led the hospital through the creation of the first critical care unit in the state of Georgia, a heart catheterization laboratory, the development of a nationally-recognized open heart surgery program, a neonatal intensive care unit, rehabilitation services, a diagnostic and therapeutic oncology unit and much more. The acquisition of laser surgery, magnetic resonance imaging, lithotripsy, arthroscopy and neurosurgical technology represents the hospital's total dedication to quality healthcare.
All of these services were designed and or created to meet a specific need of the community being serviced. In 1987, the Hospital changed its name to Athens Regional Medical Center to more closely reflect the scope of services provided as well as the areas of northeast Georgia, which we now serve. In 1996, the South Tower expansion project, which added 250,000 square feet to our facility, was dedicated.
A major expansion of our Emergency Department, Central Energy Plan and improvements to our Mother-Baby Unit were completed in 2009. The project added nearly 40,000 square feet and 22 rooms to our Emergency Department, provided significant improvements for our labor and delivery and post-partum rooms and added a 337-space parking deck, allowing us to accommodate population growth while continuing to provide the highest quality care to our patients.