Before Your Surgery
At Athens Regional Medical Center, you can expect top-of-the-line care delivered by a team dedicated to your needs. Athens Regional has continually ranked No. 1 for patient safety in the state, as well as best in the Southeast for overall quality of care and quality of care in nursing.
Understanding Your Needs Before Surgery
Before your surgery, we want to make sure you're as informed as possible, and we want to make sure we know everything we can about you to assure we provide you with the safest care possible.
So, be sure to read our guide to questions to ask your doctor, and don't forget your pre-op evaluation, which provides necessary testing for your surgery as well as an opportunity to voice any concerns.
Prepping For Surgery
In the days before your surgery, make sure that you:
- Don't eat or drink after midnight the night before your surgery (including gum or mints).
- Don't smoke 24 hours before surgery. In fact, for the most successful surgery, patients should cease smoking completely beforehand.
- Do not wear make-up or nail polish.
- Do not wear contact lenses the morning of surgery. If you must wear your lenses, bring a case with you.
- Take only the medications instructed by the anesthesiologist.
- Make arrangements for someone to drive you home and stay with you for 24 hours, if you are going home the same day as your surgery. You should not drive for 24 hours after surgery.
- Don't make any legal decisions and do not drink alcohol for 24 hours after surgery.
- Call Pre-Op Short Stay at 706-475-3499 the afternoon before your surgery to receive a time to come in the next day.
Questions Before Your Surgery
We want you to be as comfortable and confident as possible going into your procedure. Call us at 706-475-3303 with any questions or concerns.