About Athens Regional Health System
Athens Regional Health System is one of northeast Georgia's largest health care systems. Composed of an acute care facility with 350-plus beds, four urgent care centers, a quality network of physicians and specialists, a health maintenance organization and a home health agency, Athens Regional Health System is a progressive health care system committed to excellence and dedicated to improving the health, wellness and quality of life of our communities.
The cornerstone of ARHS is Athens Regional Medical Center (ARMC). ARMC is a regional referral center, offering services such as maternal/child, advanced imaging, minimally invasive surgeries, an American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer approved oncology department and a nationally recognized cardiovascular program.
Athens Regional was recently recognized as a TOP 100 in the nation in hospitals preferred by women; among the best hospitals in the region for gastroenterology and pulmonary procedures according to US News and World Report; and named the 2011 Large Hospital of the Year for the State of Georgia by the Georgia Alliance of Community Hospitals. Athens Regional is the only locally owned and governed hospital in the region it serves. Our medical staff includes more than 250 professionals and there are more than 2,800 employees. ARMC services a 17-county service area in northeast Georgia, including Athens-Clarke, Oconee, Oglethorpe, Madison, Jackson, Barrow, Walton, Morgan, Greene, Taliaferro, Wilkes, Elbert, Hart, Franklin, Banks, Stephens and Habersham.
Alongside ARMC, the health system includes:
- Health Plan Select - offering the area's only locally owned health insurance plan and provider-operated health maintenance organization
- Athens Regional Physician Services - assures an adequate number of primary care physicians for the community and allows doctors to focus on patients rather than on the demands of managing paperwork and staffing
- Athens Regional FirstCare - provides supplemental care and occupational medicine to area residents
- Athens Regional Foundation - creates opportunities for philanthropic support for new and established services
- Athens Regional Health Resources - allows for resources acquisition for future services