Radiation Oncology Services
Radiation Oncology at Athens Regional delivers top-of-the-line cancer treatment.
Our comprehensive array of services and technology includes:
- State-of-the-art equipment, including a Varian 23EX linear accelerator and a CT Scanner combined with PET, which is a major breakthrough in the detection and classification of organ and tissue disease.
- Two linear accelerators, the Varian 23EX and Varian 21iX, which deliver a precise dose of radiation to tumors, reducing harm to normal tissue. The availability of multiple machines offers flexible scheduling, so you'll be able to get an appointment when you want it.
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) and Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT), which deliver a more uniform dose of radiation to the tumor site, but less to normal tissue. We are one of the few in Georgia to offer these therapies.
- Athens' only provider of high dose rate Brachytherapy (HDR) and Cesium implants, which deliver radiation internally.
- Gliasite treatments of brain tumors.
- Prostate brachytherapy. Our successful program averages 50 prostate seed implants per year.
- A Varis record and verify system to ensure the safest possible radiation therapy treatments for our patients.
- Respiratory gating, which accounts for the patient's breathing pattern during both the simulation and treatment processes. This feature allows the beam to be turned on only when the treatment volume is in the precise position of the treatment field, reducing side effects and irradiation to normal tissues.
- Cone beam CT, offering a CT scan at the time of treatment in treatment position to verify the real-time location of soft tissue structures.
- On board imaging, providing the capability to image patients in treatment positions with orthogonals, align three-dimensionally using auto bony matching or manual matching and make shifts remotely yielding a quicker and more accurate setup.